In response to our HR music lesson I would like you to appeal to your emotional side for a bit. Please answer the following questions and speak with feeling and passion ( and honesty).
When you are done answering the questions, I would like you to respond to at least two other people's responses. Let's share together and interact a bit because we will be doing a lot of this the next couple of months.
1. How does music (or art, film, or any other creative medium) inspire and shape you? Show how. How is it a "feeling" and "response"? How does it reflect your spirit? Is it something that frees you? Brings catharsis? Compassion? Empathy? Please reflect.
2. Fill in the blank-(keep this toward the topic of music or art):
When I hear (see, sing...)____________, I know/I feel________________.
Please elaborate on your statement.
Example: When I hear Motown-from Otis Redding, Marvin Gay and Stevie Wonder to Aretha Franklin and the Temptations, I am entranced. It is a connection I feel. I am listening to art passed down to me. I am listening to something that speaks truth-something that was meant to transcend. I hear something that was played in the house on Saturday mornings, cleaning the furniture and singing and dancing with a mop. In my car, on lazy Sunday's or when the doldrums of life seem too real, I put in my Motown and it shares its voice allowing for a more liberating experience. It is an experience, a nostalgia, a memory of times that always pervade my soul with warmth. It is a love of past experience and knowledge. A love of the shouts, and beats, rhythms, rhymes and that of LIFE!
"but the soft words they are spoke so gentle
yeah yeah yeah
and it makes it easier to bear
oh she wont regret it
them young girls they dont forget it
love is their whole happiness
yeah yeha yeah
but its all so easy
all you got to do is try
try a little tenderness"-
Every time I listen to those lyrics, I smile. Otis lives through me, letting me know the trials of love, of want, of a lesson learned. I shout it from the pit of my stomach and blare it out. Oh how I could go on...
3. Pick one song that moves you and share your ideas.
4. If you so desire; tell me your top music artists:
1. Led Zeppelin
3. Dave Matthews Band
5. Rodrigo y Gabriela...and the list goes on and on...